How To Build Your Own Full-Body Home Workout Gym…For Under $50!
Under $50? Yes, you read that right. Today, I’m going to share with you how to build your own full-body home workout gym for under $50! And no, you do not need be handy with a set of tools to do it. Although owning some tools will definitely help.
Besides being super affordable, your new full-body home workout gym also takes up almost no space and can be set-up in just about any room in the house. Awesome, right!
If all this sounds good to you, go grab yourself a workout towel, and let’s get to it.
(Wait! I’ve also included a video showing 20 of my favorite exercises using the under $50 home workout gym. Check it out below!)
The Story Behind The Under $50 Home Workout Gym
The idea for this came about from a desperate need, and want, to get a great gym-like workout from home.
You see, years ago when it was just me, finding the time to go to the gym to workout was easy. I simply went whenever it was convenient for me. Now, with family, work, and social obligations constantly jockeying for my attention, finding the time to hit the gym was becoming difficult to say the least.
To help solve my apparent dilemma, I started looking into purchasing a home gym set. However, I quickly realized that space was going to be an issue. I simply did not have room for a workout bench and weights. Plus the costs of everything was, at least I thought, a little ridiculous as well.
So I got creative one day and came up with this idea. It’s like having my own cable machine at home but at a fraction of the cost.
And better yet, it allows me to get a great gym-like workout from home in only 30 minutes. Heck, sometimes I even have my kids playing around my feet!
Sound like something you could use? Great! Then let’s get into what you’ll need to build your own under $50 home workout gym.
What You’ll Need
Below is a list of items you’ll need in order to build your own fully-body home workout gym.
1. 2×4 piece of wood about 8 ft tall – This will typically run you about $3 or less at your local home improvement store.
2. Screw Eye Pins (Hooks) – These are what you’ll attach your resistance bands to. I recommend at least six but you can have as many or as few as you’d like. This pack of five from Amazon runs just under $6.
3. Resistance Band Set – This set from Amazon gives you everything you need. It comes with resistance bands, handles, ankle straps, and a carrying bag and runs about $20.
4. Carabiners – Most sizes will work but I recommend the 3″ size for ease of use. Also, you’ll want one carabiner for each resistant band you have. A six pack of carabiners on Amazon runs about $8.
5. 3″ Wood Screws – These will be used to attach your new full-body home workout gym to the wall. You only need three or four of these so hopefully you either already have some sitting around the house or you can find a friend to give you a few. If not, you can head to your local home improvement store or click here for some options.
1. Drill – Including various sized drill bits. Don’t worry if you don’t have one already. You can check out plenty of low cost drills here.
2. Saw – Only needed if you plan on cutting the 2×4 shorter.
How To Install Your Full-Body Home Workout Gym
Once you have all of your supplies, it’s time to start installing your new full-body home workout gym.
Step #1: Paint (Optional)
If you’re going to paint the 2×4, now is the time to do it. You’ll want the 2×4 completely dry before proceeding on to the next steps.
Step #2: Drill Holes For The Hooks
Once dry, you can drill the holes for the hooks. Where, and how far apart, you place your hooks will be dependent on how much variation you want in the placement of your resistance bands.
At the very least, you’ll want to put one high (about as high as you can reach), one at about chest level, and one low (about 2″ from the bottom of the 2×4). From there you can drill additional holes at whatever level you think would be best.
After your holes are drilled you can go ahead and screw in the hooks.
Step #3: Attach It To The Wall
Here you have a couple different options depending on how you want to attach your new fully-body home workout gym to the wall.
Option #1: Secure It Into A Stud (Preferred Way)
This is the way I did it and the way I recommend doing it. Securing the 2×4 to a stud will ensure your new full body workout gym isn’t going anywhere. And as long as you’ll only be using resistance bands, three 3″ wood screws (one at the top, middle, and bottom) is all you’ll need to securely attach your new home workout gym to the wall.
Option #2: Secure It Into Drywall
This is a good method if for some reason you are not able to drill into any studs. Just make sure to use drywall anchors that are capable of supporting a lot of weight and place one every couple of feet to ensure your new home workout gym is secure and stays in place.
Step #4: Connect Your Resistance Bands
Now that you have your full-body home workout gym connected securely to the wall, it’s time to connect your resistance bands. To do this, simply connect the resistance band the carabiner then attach the carabiner to a hook. Easy peasy.
Step #5: Get Your Workout On!
Now comes the fun part! It’s time to take your under $50 home workout gym for a spin.
Wondering what kind of exercises you can do with your new full-body home workout gym? Don’t worry! I’ve got you covered. Check out the video below for 20 of my favorite exercises using the under $50 home workout gym.
Also, don’t forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter below where you can be the first to hear about new blog posts on simple tips to keep you healthy. Now, enjoy the video!
Sample Exercises For Your New Full-Body Home Workout Gym
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.